Drone is the common name for and unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV). They are used in situations where manned flights are risky or difficult.
There are 2 types of UAV:
- Autonomous aircraft – operated by an automatic system
- Remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) – operated by an external operator on the ground
UAVs have six functional categories:
- Target and decoy
- Research and development
- Civil and commercial
The use of drones is shifting from primarily military to other civil aspects like commercial surveillance, filmmaking, journalism, law enforcement, search and rescue and so on.
A lot of companies like Frog Design or Good Drones LLC are in the practice of designing drones to aid everyday life. For instance, Frog Design came up with a drone concept called ‘Firestorm’, which is fire rescue drone to scout victims before the rescue squad prepares to enter. Another concept is ‘Cyclodrone’, a flying beacon connected to the bike rider’s phone, on a predetermined route. Its purpose is to improve visibility and reduce accidents on narrow roads.
- ‘Sky Is The Limit’, accessed Sept 10 2015, http://www.frogdesign.com/work/frog-drones.html
- ‘Drones: What Are They And How They Work?’, accessed Sept 10 2015, http://www.bbc.com/news/world-south-asia-10713898
- ‘Unmanned aerial vehicle’, accessed Sept 10 2015, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_aerial_vehicle